Stovetop & Microwave Fire Safety Tips
According to the US Fire Administration, kitchen incidents caused most residential fires in 2019. We can’t stress enough how important it is that you practice fire safety in the kitchen — especially when it comes to your stovetop and microwave.
We here at SERVPRO have seen it many times before; a fire started because someone became careless in the kitchen. In the end, they needed our Richardson fire damage restoration services to help make their kitchens look brand new again. But if you want to prevent trouble and keep your kitchen safe, then follow the below guide for stovetop and microwave safety tips.
Stovetop Fire Safety Tips
Always Be Attentive
The most important thing you should do when handling your stovetop is to make sure you never step away from it when it’s in use. Most people who are cooking tend to walk away from their pot or pan and let the food cook for some time. But by doing so, you increase the risk of causing a fire.
Always stay in the kitchen whenever you’re cooking and always be attentive.
Be Careful with Cooking Oils
Oil is a very common kitchen ingredient used to sauté or fry foods. It can also cause devastating fires if not used properly.
When you’re cooking your next meal with oil, make sure the temperature isn’t too high so the oil doesn’t spatter everywhere. And if you require high temperatures to cook your food, use high smoke point oils (e.g. grapeseed oil).
Microwave Fire Safety Tips
Don’t Cook Items for Too Long
One common mistake a lot of people make is cooking their food in the microwave for too long. When you microwave food items for extended periods of time, the overcooked foods can quickly become a fire hazard.
When microwaving, always read the instructions on the packaged foods you plan on heating up. If you’re microwaving other food items that don’t have instructions, look online for recommended cook times.
Make sure there are no metals whatsoever in your microwave before you cook food. Microwaving metals can cause them to burst and can severely injure people nearby.
Sometimes, people forget that they accidentally left their fork or spoon in the bowl before cooking. So, make sure your plate or bowl is free of metals before being placed in the microwave.
What if a Fire Started?
If a fire has started, try to extinguish it with a fire extinguisher. If you don’t have a fire extinguisher or the fire has gone out of control, quickly exit the premises along with other occupants and call for firefighters.
Once the fire is out, call for Richardson fire damage restoration services as soon as possible.
Let SERVPRO Help with the Aftermath
After the fire is out, look no further than SERVPRO for our Richardson fire damage restoration services.
For any inquiries, you can call us at (972) 690-1414 or visit our contact page.