Fire Damage Restoration in Plano, TX
Fire Damage Definition
When any kind of damage is done to a property or content as a result of fire, the item is considered to have fire damage. Fire damage can be as severe as the item or property being permanently ruined to something that can be restored, like smoke damage or some soot stains.
Fire damage restoration is a complex process that is different for every kind of property and content we see. Each fire is unique -- the smoke particles and soot the fire produces are different according to what was burned in the fire and for how long. How long soot and smoke sit on an item also determine how well it can be cleaned and restored. A fire restoration company can use some or all of the following techniques:
- Soot Cleanup
- HEPA Air Filtration
- Carpet Restoration
- Textile Cleaning
- Electronics Cleaning
- Air Duct Cleaning
- Moving Services
- Contents Cleaning
- ULV Fogging
- Ozone Deodorization
Garage Fire Board-Up
When an accident caused this homeowners garage to light on fire, his first step was to call us for emergency board-up services.
Board-up services include covering any damaged exterior piece of a home such as doors, windows, walls, roofs, and garage doors.
Board-ups are necessary and should be done as soon as the fire department has cleared a property for a few reasons:
- Board-ups help prevent secondary damage. Secondary damage is any damage that was caused as a result of the first damage (the primary damage) not being taken care of properly. If rain were to enter the property from the damaged garage door, the resulting water damage would be secondary damage and may not be covered by insurance.
- Board-ups help prevent theft. It’s always unfortunate when we hear stories of a family experiencing a devastating fire in their home only to have it be burglarized. Covering up the damaged portions of a property will help deter this kind of criminal behavior.
- Your insurance company expects you to protect your home. This topic goes back to the idea of secondary damage. If your insurance company decides a homeowner was negligent in their care of the property, even after it was damaged, they can deny portions of the claim.
Board-ups are the right first step to take and temporary solutions. Filing for fire damage under homeowner’s insurance can be a lengthy process. When your home can’t be permanently fixed overnight, this is the right solution.
After Board-Ups - The Fire Damage Restoration Process
Every property is different and will require a custom plan for successful fire damage restoration. General guidelines still apply:
- Complete emergency fire board-up services.
- Call your insurance company immediately and start the fire damage homeowner’s insurance claim process. Tell your adjuster you’ve chosen to work with SERVPRO of Richardson as your fire damage restoration company. By law, your adjuster and insurance company have to agree with your choice of company.
- We will work with your adjuster to inspect the extent of your home and prepare a restoration plan.
- We’ll complete a home inventory of items we will attempt to restore. Those items are moved out of the property and to our facility for cleaning and storage. Items that cannot be restored are also documented for your adjuster to consider replacing.
- Your property will be completely cleaned. Any portions of that were damaged will need demolition and be reconstructed.
To learn more about our fire damage process, read our article.
Guide to Prevent Home Fires
The National Fire Protection Association has useful guides for anyone looking to take a proactive approach to fire safety and home fire prevention.
A Trusted Leader in Reconstruction and Damage Restoration in North Texas
SERVPRO of Richardson has been a leader in water and fire damage restoration for over 30 years. Our decades of experience make us a preferred choice for over a thousand families and businesses looking for restoration help each year. We are also one of the few damage restoration companies in North Texas that is full-service and works with every insurance company.
We are headquartered on the Richardson and Plano, TX border, and we can arrive almost anywhere in DFW in just a short time.
Our emergency services are available 24-hours a day, every day of the year.
Call or contact us today. We’re ready to help!